Saturday, May 31, 2014

 I bought the plans for the Diesel Duck 48 from designer George Buehler in January 2004.  Where did those 10 years go?  I moved to Maine, found a nice little spot to build and ordered up some Angelique a very hard wood with high silica content- tough on insects, borers and saw blades.  My first crisis was finding out that the 35 foot timbers (one was actually half a tree) were coming on a flat bed in two days and where should they go and how was I getting them off the truck?   What?  No boom for offloading? Crappe.  These big timbers easily weighed a thousand pounds each (didn't weigh them though) and its not like you just threw one over your shoulder and off the truck.  In the end I scrambled and found a lumber yard that would off load them then reload them onto a truck with a boom and they were eventually delivered.  This was my first realization I wasn't in Kansas any more.  Actually I was only in Kansas once but it sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment